Sunday, February 5, 2012

good plan.

"O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them." --Psalm 40:5, NLT


This past week was filled with overwhelming, undeniable confirmations that God has some wonderful plans for me, here and in Massamá:


On Tuesday, I had Portugal on my mind...ALL DAY. This isn't too uncommon, but on this day in particular, I was overwhelmed with homesickness. The workday seemed to go by painstakingly slow and I found myself frustrated that I was in an office, sitting in front of a computer, scanning documents and inputting budget hours into a database. My heart and brain seemed to scream, "THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS MADE TO DO!" with every hour that passed. After work, I drove to the grocery store to meet up with my mom to get snacks for the get-together I was hosting on Saturday. I arrived before she did so I waited in my car, that's when the tears came. I found myself sobbing in the Food 4 Less parking lot, feeling a  literal ache to be at Espaço with Joe and Paula, Mila,Zé and Herculano, Dona Fernanda and everyone else there. I realized that this homesick feeling was not something to brush off, it's not very normal to cry in a grocery store's parking lot, and began to pray for all of them. I didn't get a specific vision of why that community was so heavily laid upon my heart, but I did feel a sense of hope begin to grow as I prayed. Hope for what's been done and what will be done. In the lives of those people, in their neighborhood, in their city and in their country. And hope that someday, I'll get to be a part of it all.


On Wednesday, I received a check in the mail that is going to cut my student loan debt in half. It's a long story of how I got blessed with this money, but ultimately all you need to know is that "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply" (Hudson Taylor). I know that this does not mean God's supply is always money, in this case I think money was only part of what He supplied. Notice that the tears and love for Portugal happened before the money came. I feel more blessed to still have a passion to be with the community and ministry that's going on in Massamá. Yes, this money will be one important section of the path that's being cleared and prepared for me to return, but I do not want to forget that the reason I'm even on this path is because God has led me here.


On Friday, I found out that I will be gaining some new responsibilities at work. The next two weeks will be filled with training as I become a key person in the firm's marketing publications (newsletters, promo items, etc.) and event planning (Wednesday night Tax Season dinners for staff, staff parties, staff appreciation and acknowledgement). I am SO excited for this. My first thought was: "I GET TO CREATE STUFF!" and my second, "I CAN TAKE THIS KNOWLEDGE/SKILL SET TO PORTUGAL!" (Apparently, I yell my thoughts.) When I met with one of the partners to officially accept the new responsibilities, I gained another reason why this is going to be such a great fit. He said something along the lines of, "This will really be great for you to use in your future ministry plans. You'll be given a message that needs to be shared and it's you're job to figure out the best way to communicate and spread that message." He also taked about Paul and how he approached his ministry. Um, can I just say, YES.
And also, maybe I should have minored or something in Communications. 
Regardless, God is so good to give me a peek into what good plans He has for me here and now.


I hope this didn't come off as braggy or prideful. My hope is that you are encouraged to know that God's got some pretty sweet plans for us. And He provides. In His way and in His timing.


"'For surely I know the plans I have for you', says the Lord, 'plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.'"--Jeremiah 29:11, NRSV

No comments:

Post a Comment