Sunday, January 29, 2012

hey, me too.

"Friendship arises out of mere companionship when two or more of the companions discover that they have in common some insight or interest or even taste which the others do not share and which, till that moment, each believed to be his own unique treasure (or burden). The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one." -- Clive Staples Lewis, The Four Loves


This quote seems to sum up most of my week, and I love it! Have you ever experienced this? What a blessing, huh? 

I'm not sure what it is about communitas, but ever since we talked about it in the Exodus class I took last semester, I feel like I've been hungry for it, on the look out for it...and boy, have I seen/found it! I don't think it's a matter of "finding" it, but rather being intentional in seeking and seeing it.

I had some excellent conversations this week, some lasted about half an hour, another almost seven! Although each was about something quite different from the other, the what tied them all together was that sense of utter relief, comfort and hope that comes from knowing you're not alone. That someone else gets it. That someone else knows. That they've been there too. Regardless of how long or how often these conversations happen, I am always so encouraged and blessed by the understanding, the friendship, the communitas

I had a thought earlier this week: "This season may be liminal, but it is far from inadvertent." That definition that I referenced before mentions that communitas is created when people experience liminality together. I think that's why I'm so excited about this time in my life, this season. This may be a sort of "in-between" time, but I'm already seeing that God's got a lot for me here. My challenge is to be engaged here while being aware of the fire in my heart for Massamá and Espaço. (Not too hard to do when I'm thinking and praying and missing them on a weekly basis!)

Could I ask you to join me in praying for wisdom, peace and clarity as I discern what this will look like? I have an opportunity to serve with Youth For Christ's Campus Life clubs, a ministry that pretty much defined my high school experience, I could get back into Kids Connection at The Well and I'm sure there are other opportunities that I don't even know about yet. I am excited to see where it is God wants me while I'm here.

I hope you have some, "Hey, me too!" moments this week! Seek them out. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment